somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Into the Wilderness

One Sunday last month these words were printed on the handout for the 4pm church service-

"Jesus went into the wilderness to find out who he was if he wasn't going to be a carpenter anymore."

I've been mulling over these words and they resonate with one transition experience for me.

Into the Wilderness

This is the wilderness that called.
I didn't want it. It chose me.
When all I knew is what I didn't want to be.

In the desert, time was warped.
Forty days or forty years?
Counting was wearying. So I stopped.
In the shadow, sound was silent.
Every sand-dune looked the same.
Rocks were still rocks. And I was hungry.

I died in the wilderness.
I let it suck it all out of me.
My bleached bones brittle in the sun.
But in the middle of the valley
(You know this story....) Life!
He let me live in the wilderness.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:19 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Pip, did you write this? I like it very much. Ali

     
  • At 6:15 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Thanks Ali-
    Yep, I did write it. (Something to do when it is too hot to sleep!)

     
  • At 6:23 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi there

    I've been thinking about this for the past week! I reckon its pretty good.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home