somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Sunday, December 05, 2010

when you can only race on rice

There are many ways to complete the phrase "you know you've been in Asia too long when..."

This morning was the Angkor Wat Half Marathon & 10km. I signed up for the 10km. It's a flat, familiar, beautiful course. A contingent from Laos dominated the 10km events, with about seven out of the top eight females wearing the distinctive red singlets. It was great to see some strong Asian runners competing in an international event. (Local Cambodian Hem Bunting won the men's 21km half marathon.) As for my run... not so great! Without going into detail, I'll say that I now know eating "foreign food" and then attempting to race isn't a good combination. My next race is in Thailand. Note to self: rice, Pip.... rice.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:47 pm , Anonymous Omi said...

    thats funny....i thought of you the night before my race & thought there is no way I'm eating rice ;-)

     
  • At 10:12 am , Blogger pip said...

    so what did you eat? pasta? cheesecake?
    ...and did you get teased by any random women working the night shift in the servo like when I walked in with a McDonalds muffin & a coffee and put a lemon slice on the counter. "Hungry tonight are we?" "Err...yeah." Whatever.. a 55k run tomorrow should work it off!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home