somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

National Girls U13s



Sometime in 2011 I bought this T-shirt for Srey Nit when she makes a National Football Team. She's only 11 so I thought it might take a couple of years? Last week, however, I received news that she was been selected for the final tryouts for a new National Girls Under 13s team! 


I was sure that Srey Nit would be excited, but when I brought this amazing news I kept hearing, 'Maybe I can't go...' After some gentle questioning, I discovered the reason for her reluctance. Srey Nit studies Grade 3 for a few hours each day and spends the rest of her time pulling carts across the border. She was worried that if she went away for a few days, her younger siblings might not have enough to eat. So I've pretty much bribed her family with cash for each day she's away this week. 


This morning we drove 115km by moto to drop her off with the other players. (It was 4.5 hours on the road, 6 hours including meeting some of the coaches etc.) We started at the office by trying on helmets until we found one that Srey Nit could wear (even though she has never worn a helmet and thought it was a bit weird!). Then we made a stop at two of the universities in the capital of the province, looked at the spelling of the word university and stopped at the gate for a while "because maybe one day you can study here?" We played some super fun maths games like calculating how many km's we had done so far and calculating our estimated arrival time. (Yeah.. I gotta get over worrying about pulling her out of school for four days!)


I don't know what to do if she makes the team. I probably can't keep paying her family for every lost day of cart pushing. Still hoping and looking for freedom! :)


PS I've been on holidays for a couple of weeks. Highlights and photos to come! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home