somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Snacks

While I was in HK over Chinese New Year Kate asked me about what kinds of snacks are popular in Cambodia. At the time I wasn't sure. Now I am confident to report that the most popular snack in our home is sliced green mango dipped in a mixture of salt, sugar and chilli. At first I found this just a good way to wake up on a hot, sleepy afternoon but now I'm starting to enjoy the taste too. Another great snack is made with battered, deep fried bananas. These don't come with nutritional information on the side but I can tell you that this is no diet food!

Last weekend I discovered a new treat that would have to be my current favourite. "Mum" cooked up some taro in palm sugar syrup. I got a few pieces while they were still hot in the wok, added a generous dollop of crunchy peanut butter and ate them with a cup of coffee. Soooo very fine!! (...wondering if tastes anything like the peanut butter & sweatened condensed milk waffles DJ was so excited about in HK?)

In Australian snack news, rumour has it that Arnotts have brought out Chilli Tim Tams? Sounds good to me. Anyone tried them?

3 Comments:

  • At 10:52 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yummo some of the snacks sound really good. Ah so now i know what they were dipping the mango in at work...it kindda looks like a weird musly sort of mix with red and orange type spots?
    Yup u r right about that one Pip~ TimTams now come in Choc Chilly..i think black forest or rum forest and truffle..i have tried the latter and it is just devine :9

     
  • At 9:59 am , Blogger pip said...

    hey-
    did your work friends offer you some mango & dip? i've always thought the original Tim Tams were hard to beat but these new flavours sound pretty amazing :)

     
  • At 8:31 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    No but pumkin houmous and gouda (or any mild) cheese on toast is magnificent!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home