somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Respect?

Today I walked into our small class at university and greeted my fellow students.

To the new student who has just changed from the morning class to our afternoon class, I raised my hands, palms together and greeted her in Khmer using the respectful greeting.

To the only male student I used the casual Khmer greeting.

To my Dutch friend (female) I said in English, "Hey groover. How are ya?"

And to my American friend (female) I said, "Hey sexi!"

It just so happened that today we were studying greetings to show respect. If I remember the vocab for more than a day, I will be able to greet the King if I ever bump into him strolling along the riverfront or welcome honourary guests to a formal meeting. Very handy.

While it is all very good to be polite, I must say that I usually enjoy more casual interaction.

To give another recent example, as I was cycling home, my Dutch friend passed me on a motorbike. She turned her head, waved her hand and yelled out, "Hey sexi!" for all the peak-hour traffic to hear. Very un-Khmer but very funny!

3 Comments:

  • At 8:32 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hey sexi good to see you re back blogging. I've missed you :)X

     
  • At 5:21 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes, some of us were a bit worried about you - sick? down? But the last message says the old sexi Pip is alive and as well as ever.

     
  • At 2:25 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey sexi, did you get my e-mail? good to hear from you again, Marsha

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home