somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Cheesy Songs

When I was in high school I'd write dumb poems to give to my friends as gifts or just to pass the time in a double maths period. Now I like writing songs. They are usually "songs for the moment" rather than anything serious I hope to remember in 10 years time.

I wrote one on the last night of the youth camp last week. It was about 11pm and we were sitting around on leather couches in our designated room (complete with disco ball and coloured lights, but nevermind...) when one of the girls asked me to write her a song. I agreed to give it a shot. We sat in the tangible "last night of camp" feel. Everyone was tired but nobody wanted to be the first to leave. There were growing spaces between the words but also bursts of uncontrolled laughter.

As we sat I figured out an easy, cheesy three-quarter time picking pattern and serenaded a fifteen year old chick with her song. This is the chorus:

This is your song, song song
Your very last night song
For saying as long as you can.
Don't have to be a sad song, a sad song
It could be a not-so-sad-song
For saying goodbye. = )

4 Comments:

  • At 7:02 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Aah, double maths periods. I would set my watch on the desk and try to set new personal breath-holding records. Lack of oxygen seemed to make time go faster.

     
  • At 9:18 am , Blogger pip said...

    Hi Joe-
    That sounds extreme but if it worked for you...

     
  • At 6:02 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well poetry would have been too risky - teachers loved snatching bits of paper and reading them to the class.

     
  • At 8:41 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I remember your poems! Not in the double maths classes but the maths study times on my dining room table. There was one about a tree, I remember...

    =)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home