somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Watching The Road

Yesterday I went to visit two Cambodian friends who live in the same house. They don’t have a phone or email so knocking on the door is the only way to keep in contact. The older of the two women was at home but the young woman (who I’m closer friends with) was out. We talked and caught up on threads of news.

Then she told me that the younger woman had been “watching the road” for me. I wasn’t sure what she meant. I asked if I had failed to show up at a certain time when I had committed to visit? The older woman explained that this phrase just means that she misses me very much and is looking forward to my next visit. Between the times we see each other it is as though she is continually “watching the road” for my return.

This probably sounds cheesy in English but in Khmer I think the phrase is touching. It made me realise that there are many people that I am watching the road for too.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home