somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Not Sure

just today
let us not have an opinion

Cheryl started a post with these words and I've been thinking about them all week. I've been trying to put aside the familiar tools I employ in the effort to win an argument. (Usually about stupid things that I don't really care about anyway.) Attempting to move beyond the need to impress. Trialling alternative phrases in my vocabulary. For example-

That's a good question.
What do you think about that?
I'm not sure.
Can you tell me about your experiences of....?
That's something I'd like to learn more about.
What makes you say that...
I don't know.

It's a bit weird at times. But my opinion is: sometimes it is freeing not to have to have an opinion.

While knowing may make us feel important, it is love that really builds up... Anyone who claims to know all the answers doesn't really know very much. 1 Corinthians 8:1-2

3 Comments:

  • At 5:39 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I do find that your "opinions" help me to think about topics I wouldn't usually pay much attention to, so thank you! Ali

     
  • At 11:07 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Pip - I've been thinking along similar lines this past week. I have found myself getting increasingly impatient and frustrated with colleagues when they don't immediately share/understand my opinions (as of course I'm always right!) when really I just need to take a step back and listen more!

    Karen

     
  • At 11:30 pm , Blogger pip said...

    thanks for the generous comments... always lovely to read these!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home