somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

DJ at my local

I admit that I’ve had a radical conversion to Pop. When I’m on the treadmill I like to motivate myself with some tunes. Although I hate the fuss and tangle of earphones- don’t fear.... my gym has a sound system and I’m not afraid to use it.

Today was a typical scenario. I walked in at lunch time to find half a dozen people exercising with nothing to listen to but the sound of their own sweat falling on the carpet. So I approached a couple of ladies and asked them in polite Khmer whether they would mind if I put some music on? They stared blankly so I tried again in English and they understood. (I’m pretty sure they were Korean.) I did the rounds to check with the others. Khmer for the Cambodians. English for the rest. Press play. Hello Pussy Cat Dolls and a 10K run on a machine that takes me nowhere....

Later a Cambodian staff member entered the gym and turned the music down. I didn’t mind. But the Korean ladies did! They talked a little in what I assume was a mini-conference, then one of the women called out, “Music- more! Music- more! Music- more!” until the young Khmer guy got the idea and turned it up! (Sweet!) When I left I took my CD, replaced it with some Madonna and increased the volume another notch. Big smiles again from the Koreans. Music- more? I agree.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:04 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thats funny! Yeah I love my ipod. Can't run to work without it!

     
  • At 11:20 am , Blogger gretchen said...

    i'd like to think i played even a small role in your pop conversion... ;) (and you're going to think of me everytime you hear this song! ;) xxoo!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home