somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

7 Tech Questions

I’d like to share some of my comments/ questions about technology. Feel free to post your responses as a comment and/or add a question of your own! (We could fill this out to 10 questions easily...)

1. I was on a low-budget international flight the other day and every “extra” needed to be pre-booked and pre-paid. The guy next to me chose the personal entertainment system but had nothing to eat for the 9 hours 11 minutes onboard. (I would have died of starvation before dying of boredom!) Just wondering, if you had to choose between food or entertainment on a long flight, what would you pick?

2. About TV.... Do you still watch it? If so, what do you watch? Are you an unashamed consumer of pop TV or do you pretend you don’t have time for trash?

3. In Cambodia some of my friends have been known to swap their mobile phones with a friend/ girlfriend/ boyfriend for a day or more. (I’m not really sure why...maybe it is trust thing?) Could you swap your cell phone with your friend for a day?

4. To continue with the theme of phones... I read somewhere that the greeting “hello” only came into common usage after the introduction of the telephone. (One of the alternative suggestions for greeting people when this new technology came out was “ahoy”!!) Three questions: Do you actually answer your phone or do people usually have to leave a message? If so, how do you answer your phone? Do you think there is still hope for a revival of the word ahoy?

5. A couple of people have told me recently that with facebook, skype and texting, they don’t use email for anything except work. Interesting. Is email just not fun enough anymore?

6. Air travel. After my accidental flight to the Sunshine Coast instead of the Gold Coast, I had to catch two buses and a taxi to get back to arrive at my intended destination. It cost me more than the initial air fare. So I’m wondering if flights are just too cheap? Too easy? But then, as our friends and family scatter across the globe we have travel further if we want to keep in touch. My question: How many of your close friends do you need to get on a plane to visit?

7. Finally, I remember the pen license fiasco of fourth grade. At the start of the year our whole class switched form using pencils to pens. Within weeks our teacher decided this was a bad idea. Her eight and nine year olds simply didn’t have the handwriting that she expected from children entrusted with a pen. We had to revert to using pencils until our teacher decided our writing has good enough to receive our pen license. It could be revoked for continued messy work too. Oh the shame! Some kids were stuck on pencils for months ... Yet in our type/ text/ digital culture I wonder how many of us can boast of neat, consistent handwriting? Putting it simply, I wonder: Would my fourth grade teacher have to revoke your pen license?

7 Comments:

  • At 9:59 pm , Blogger Queen of Cyprus said...

    Was inspired to visit your blog and found your questions intriguing...

    1. Like you would prefer food over entertainment.. the best of course would be sleeep.
    2. Do watch it and usually waver between adimitting unashamedly and trying to insist don't have time for trash.
    3.Guess wouldn't be as trusting as to swap phones.. though doubt anyone would call other than my husband wondering if he should buy me tickets for the latest bollywood flick or sushma asking if i was coming down for lunch at Narnia!
    4. Sure I answer my phone.. when it rings! nah.. can't see anyone but you trying to revive ahoy!
    5. I am a die hard.. do use email.
    6. Would do it for you any day!!
    7. Well... I guess I am trying to make sure the teacher does not take away my pen anymore... got Deb to get me a book on calligraphy from Canada on her last trip.

    So hope (even though this is not an email) you have some fun...

     
  • At 7:03 am , Blogger pip said...

    Hey Rajni-

    Fun comments! : ) Thanks!! I talked to a friend yesterday who also blogs and she said that it was clear that I was back in Cambodia and that perhaps this was a problem because:

    a) I've got too much time to think and blog these kinds of questions but
    b) nobody else on the planet has time to respond!!

    So thanks for proving me wrong! Anyone else?

    PS Re: point 6: Yep- please do get on a plane and visit...looking forward to it already : )

     
  • At 6:35 am , Blogger gretchen said...

    pippy~
    1~ get serious- food is of COURSE a priority! and don't deny that you agree!!! (but only if you are flying somewhere besides the states, in which there is no option for food...)
    2~ haven't watched more than an hour of tv in the past month... it is total trash!
    3~ no way could i swap my phone for a day...unfortunately, i am too obsessed!
    4~only YOU could pull off ahoy! i meant to try, but it was so unnatural, i forgot!! ;)
    5~email is still TOTALLY FUN! you know this.. ;) on the contrary, i never check my work email except out of obligation!
    6~ i have to get on a plane to visit almost ALL of my closest friends! it may be awhile, but i will get there.... ;)
    7~yep, my handwriting has been compared to that of a doctor... not so good... good thing my work is done on a computer

     
  • At 8:47 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congratulations Pip you are the first person to EVER manage to get me to answer one of these things... it's really true i normally think they are a bit lame but your questions were too good to pass up.
    Xx

    1. Why can't you have both?

    2. I really can't handle big
    brother... but some other reality tv shows have been known to suck me in ... My all time fave is "my big Fat obnoxious fiance" its from a few years back now but still rates up there... I haven't had tv at home for a few years now but still get in a bit of day time trash such as Oprah when i'm at work, although i find her a bit boring sometimes these days (yeah i know, work right? but i'm folding washing while i'm whatching okay!!) ... cant handle doctor Phil these days tho... so i guess the answer is: No, i definitely don't have time for TV!! As if i'd wast my time whatching that trash .. there's so nothing on these days anyway!and i'm way too busy to be whatching tv!

    3.no... don't think i could do it. Although i did (accidently) leave my phone at home two days in a row last week for the full day while i was at work and that felt strangely liberating.

    4.a) Depends what mood i'm in and who's calling ... but i always answer when you call pip :)
    b)I always anwser the phone with my name even when it's my own phone and people presumably know it's me answering. I think it was drummed into me as a child. And while i'm on the topic i find it really frustrting when people answer the phone without using their name especially if they live in a house with several other people of the same sex who all start to sound like each other after a while. i could go on more about this but i'll leave it at that.
    c)Probably not.

    5. All i can say is that i was very pleaseantly suprised today to see that you have finally got around to confirming me as a friend on facebook and that now our friendship can continue to grow and flourish.(I was beginning to wonder if it was all over there for a while)

    6. Too many (and just on the whole flying into the wrong airport and having to catch a bus and train etc, just wanted to say thanks and i'm still keeping an ear out for anyone else who might take the same claim to fame i'll keep you posted)

    7. when i was in year 7 i had a friend who used to practice her handwriting in class. I can't remember what she would write maybe the alphabet or something but I would be lying if i didn't say that sometimes i was a bit jealous of her beautiful handwriting. I think it even inspired me a bit. Maybe i could even thank her for the fact that I have pretty good handwriting most of the time these days.

    Wow this ended up being a bit longer than i thought... but i guess now that you're back in Cambodia with all that time on your hands you'll have time to read it.
    :)Xx

     
  • At 5:48 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    1. Food - I can entertain myself

    2. Yep - Farmer wants a wife. Every monday night 8.30pm channel 9 & I LOVE IT!

    3.Yeah I reckon I could...not sure I would want her phone!

    4. Answer my phone say 70% of the time.I answer hello this is Naomi & revival...maybe...

    5. No i love email..gmail rocks..email me! at work & out of work

    6. well well - my closest male friend & jump on a plane once a month to go visit (its his turn this weekend!) sometimes $300 return for a 45 min flight - sometimes $200!

    7. No!

    Love ya!

     
  • At 10:45 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Gretch- for SURE I still think emails are fun!

    Ruah- great to see that you were interested enough to reply! btw I love that you answer the phone "properly" and I agree that your handwriting is lovely!

    Omi- hahaha! love your answer to question 2! nothing to do with 6 or anything... ; )

     
  • At 3:47 pm , Blogger Miwa in HK said...

    Yup, great survey, and yes, worth answering! Thanks for inviting us too! Good food for thought:)

    1. Hehe:) I would say.. entertainment, so long as I knew that we had to bring the food….:)

    2. No, but I generally don’t have access to TV. If I did, it would be the entertainment I would be more likely to watch… though, I don’t currently know what’s on! In terms of DVD’s, it’s been Grey’s anatomy, Private Practice, House that I have been watching most recently.

    3. In HK, there were days when I did lend my phone to others for special reasons, and for now, I don’t use it enough to miss it if I did lend it away.. though there have been times when I wouldn’t lend it, depending on what was currently happening.

    4. I answer the phone when I can, and yes, say “Hello”.. not sure about ahoy- it’s quite…well, not confronting, but the HK- wei would be easier to say..:)

    5. Email is great fun! It just depends who you’re trying to contact and for what reason.

    6.
    Too many of my close friends live elsewhere, and yes, would need a long flight to get to them..not really surprising, considering most of my recent years have been spent in other countries..

    7.
    Yes, while it can be good if I try really really hard… it wouldn’t be good enough for your 4th grade teacher..

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home