somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Study At Home Too

This week we are recognising some of the best pre-school students in Kbal Spean village. Through the NGO run school, MMF, we will give each of the selected students a pack to help them study at home as well as at school. (The package contains: one Khmer textbook, two storybooks, a maths textbook, notebook, pencil, sharpener, alphabet & numbers flashcards, one writing board & a box of chalk.)

A few months ago I was at the school when one of the kids invited me to visit his house. I agreed. He led me to his house a few hundred metres from the school. While chatting with his mum, I heard that this boy loves school! He wants to study the whole day instead of half-day classes. This isn't possible, however, because the free school is full. I wondered if it would be possible for him to study at home too?

This month, we're discovering that there are many other pre-schoolers who are just as enthusiastic about learning! We asked their teachers to choose 28 of the top pre-school students. We wrote a letter to their parents telling them that their child has been selected for the 'Study At Home Too' program. In addition, we created a short brochure with 'fill in the blank' exercises to teach five points about how parents can help their children to learn. To receive the resource pack, a parent or caregiver must learn the points and be able to tell the teacher/ volunteer at the school how they can assist their child to learn at home.

This week Phoeurn and the teachers have been visiting the families. Here are some of Phoeurn's reflections:

I thought it would be difficult to catch the parents at home. Many of them are busy working all day. Even so, 20 families were able to arrange for a parent or caregiver to be at home during the hours I said I'd visit. (One of the teachers followed up the other 8 families over two nights.)

When I told them that I was there to talk about educational resources, the families were interested. I said that their child was chosen because they were a good example. They come to class on time, listen to their teacher and concentrate on their lessons. Even more than the promise of the gift, what really made them happy was the affirmation that their kids are smart and enthusiastic students. Some people said, "I have nothing to give my child. But I am able to give them this opportunity." Maybe the most powerful thing about meeting with the parents was to be able to say, "This is something your child has earned. It's not from their teacher. It's not from a parent. It's for your child and from your child. It's the result of your child's hard work."

Before I talked with the parents I thought that most of them didn't care about their children's education. I thought that they just wanted to use their children to work such as collecting garbage or begging. However, it became clear that they want their children to learn. Many parents regret that they have to send their children to work.

Most of the parents couldn't read the information I gave them. They had to ask a relative or a neighbour to read it for them. A mother called to ask some more questions about the exercise. She'd never been expected to do something as challenging as read a page of information and complete a simple exercise. Panin's mother needed some help, but afterwards she was confident that she could read the information and remember the points.

I think the equipment will be useful to encourage the students and the families alike. I'm looking forward to giving the books, flashcards and other materials tomorrow!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:06 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What an awesome idea to have take home school for those that are keen.
    I'm glad the parents are in bracing it and the school has taken it on.

    Love to hear how it goes latter down the track.

    Keep up the great work.
    Sharon

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home