somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Aquathon












Over the weekend I had some time to hang out in Phnom Penh. I'd heard about a group long run that leaves from the Independence Monument every Sunday at 6:10am so I dragged myself out of bed early and took a motorbike taxi to the meeting point. I was a few minutes early so was very surprised that a group of about half a dozen runners had already taken off down the street by the time I arrived! I got off the moto, threw some money at the driver (too much but I couldn't find the right change!) and started to chase. Even at six in the morning the streets are starting to fill up with vehicles, so it was good to catch up and then to be able to run with other people. A Khmer coach was riding on his motorbike along the route and giving out water & encouragement every few kilometres. I told Coach after about 12km that I wasn't sure that I was up for the full 21km training run that day... (I was a bit discouraged that I couldn't keep up with the guys after 45 minutes!) and that I was going to take a short-cut to run home and finish with about 16km logged. He was okay with that. I said I'd like to run with them again next time I'm in the Capital.



Showered, changed and with an iced coffee in hand, I went to the Olympic Stadium to check out a sprint distance swim/ run organised by the newly-formed Cambodian Triathlon Association. There were about 50 people who raced: some professional runners, some experienced triathletes and some determined amateurs. I clapped and cheered for everyone! Some of the Khmer runners really struggled in the swim section, but I was stoked that my friend Dara (almost last out of the pool) totally blitzed the 5km run and finished in second place. I didn't stick around for the prize ceremony and so I only found out afterwards. But I sent Dara a text today to say I'd heard about his great result and to offer congratulations. He replied, "YES IT REALLY INFORMATION. TANK YOU." And that made me : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home