somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Friday, July 01, 2011

The Grace To Race

A few weeks ago a friend sent me a message before a race to say: Run FAST.. and with grace. A few days later I started reading a book by Sister Madonna Buder called The Grace To Race.

Sister Madonna Buder is an 80 year old world champion triathlete known as the Iron Nun or the Flying Nun. She started running when she was 48 years old and competed in her first marathon four years later (in Boston). Not long after, she transitioned to long distance triathlon. How far is a long distance triathlon? Well, this Sister does the full Ironman distances (2.8km swim/ 190km bike/ 42.2 km run). I thought I could get some inspiration on how to race with grace from this amazing woman who has set countless world records & keeps pushing the organisers of races to have to open new age group categories! I will pull some quotes from her book and update you every week.

For this Friday's inspiration on The Grace To Race, Sister says:

"Running does change people's lives. When I first entered the religious life at the age of twenty-three, I was set apart from the world. Once I began to run and compete, my path opened wide to include the whole world. God's ways are not our ways. I would probably be less effective sitting in the convent than i am now, being thrust into the public life where I can influence people by example."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home