somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Last Week

Don't tell me grief isn't physical.
I met him last week.

At 4am when alone I waited
For sleep's quiet invitation.
At 6am when I ran
but breathing hurt and my eyes stung
and the skies pressed down on me.
Stupid, I blamed: heat and humidity.

In snatches of sleep I dreamed of cupcakes.
Awake nothing tasted good.
Sadness stole my words.
I need them to lead my team-
to praise, encourage, correct and challenge.
Heart empty, I borrowed scraps from last season's script.

Grief sat heavy on my chest- and tight.
Like when I was six years old and
play-wrestling with the neighbourhood kids
until a bigger boy beat me and wouldn't get off.
Writhe. Scream. Struggle. It makes no difference.
Sadness has his own schedule.

He came but now he's gone again.
And I still rise to hope.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home