somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Saturday, February 19, 2005

A stranger's request

I was walking down the street yesterday (literally on the street since there aren't too many footpaths in Cambodia) when a lady riding a bicycle stopped me. She asked if I speak Khmai. I said no. Speaking in broken English, the middle-aged lady offered me a ride on the back of her bike. I tried to explain that I didn't have far to go and that I was happy to walk.

The stranger then asked, "Can you help me?" I waited for the request, "Will you pray to God for me?" I said, "Yes" (wondering which God she hoped I would pray to but figuring that this probably wasn't the time for a theological discussion...). She asked me to pray for a 6 year old child who was sick. I tried to clarify if she was speaking about her child or someone else's but I don't think she understood my question.

Her request came again, "Will you pray to God for me?" OK. How do I do this? Should I kneel down on the road and pray on the spot? Should I go home and pray a silent prayer in a private moment? I tried to ask if the child was nearby and if she wanted me to go with her to see the child. Once again, I don't think she understood. I could only say again, "Yes. I will pray to God for you."

Walking home, I thought about the central place of healing in the ministry of Jesus and his apostles. When Jesus sent out the twelve he "gave them power and authority to cast out demons and to heal all diseases. Then he sent them out to tell everyone about the coming of the Kingdom of God and to heal the sick." (Luke 9:1-2). I recalled the simple faith of men and women who were healed by Jesus (generally without lengthy theological discussions about which God was doing the healing before the event....). And yes, I did pray to God for the stranger on the bicycle and the healing of a six year old.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:56 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How amazing that she stopped you in the street! Did you have any indication (T-shirt etc) that you believe in God? If not, why did she stop you - or was she just stopping everyone?

    I hope you're going well.

     
  • At 8:52 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Hi Andrew-

    To be honest I have no idea why this lady stopped me. Perhaps she thought that PPenh might be religious? I'm not sure...

    Pip

     
  • At 6:45 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Pip!!

    Great to hear that the Lord is already putting people in your path for His greater purposes! Bring on the God stories.

    We prayed for you tonight at the boys bible study group.

    Narraweena has started off well in 2005, lots of youth stepping up into leadership roles, and others of a younger age getting more involved - particularly in the music team.

    IGNITE Youth has had good numbers so far... 25 (games nite), 60 (waterworks) and 40 (at Extreme) kids in attendance so far! About 8 of the kids came to church on Sunday night - majority from non-Christian families and they seem really keen to learn!

    Praise God for what he's doing in their hearts!!!

    God bless
    Andrew E (aka: the other Andrew!)

     
  • At 3:59 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Hi Andrew E-

    Good to hear from you. I will try to report God stories in the midst of the stupidity : )

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home