somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Extra Help

Some days it seems like I'm getting extra help with learning Khmer.

This morning I set a lesson plan to learn around twenty new verbs. One of the things that came up with my tutor is that there is a different word for dropping something on purpose and dropping something accidentally. As soon as my lesson finished I went to a shop/ house around the corner to buy rice for breakfast. While I was standing there, cash in hand, I dropped one of the notes. One of the ladies serving rice exclaimed, "You dropped something accidentally!" (just the single word in Khmer) and I turned to pick it up. How convenient that after seven weeks of shopping every day and not dropping any money (that I am aware of!) I should accidentally drop something five minutes after studying the verb.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:58 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Language is so interesting! In Hindi there is a word for 'causing something to fall' (i.e. dropping something) but it's much more common to say merely 'it fell' without laying any blame.

     
  • At 4:34 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Hey joe-
    Yeah... I'm starting to understand how people become passionate about languages because of the clues it gives about the peoples that use them.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home