somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Perspective

In his book Finding Life, Ashley Barker reflects on the experiences he and his family went through during their first year of living in a Bangkok slum. Before they left Melbourne, someone asked, 'What is the worst that can happen...?' Barker wrote:

As my mind skimmed through the all the potential crises we would face, I could only come up with, 'If we lost perspective, we would lose everything'.

I don't know how Ashley's family went with this challenge but I find myself losing perspective all the time! I think it was Amy Charmichael who wrote about her mix of thoughts, 'some fly too high- and some too low.' I can relate. Some fly too high- when I see what I think needs to be done but forget that my reach is always beyond my grasp. When I don't hear the warning, 'Please mind the gap.' Some fly too low- when I crash because I can't fulfil the vague expectations I have for myself. Then I stop, moan and complain- even if nobody else hears.

Within these pendulum thoughts, some things bring per0pective again. I went to the International Church last Sunday and heard Connie speak about living in the presence of God. Her Southern American accent fitted her message as she talked about 'meet'n with Jeezuz..' I ended up writing stuff that I know but needed to hear again to get perspective. Some classic Connie quotes:

- like any friendship, a friendship with Jesus starts with spending time with him and is sustained by spending time with him.
- when it comes to connecting with God there isn't one formula. mostly, all I have to do is show up.
- don't you want to see his face? don't you want to hear his voice? don't you want to be in his presence? ....how badly do you want it?

You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in You, whose thoughts are fixed on You! LORD, you will grant peace, for all we have accomplished is really from You. (Is 26:2-3)

2 Comments:

  • At 12:14 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Pip,

    Yep, how do we find real peace? "Perfect peace?" Even in the Old Testament, Isaiah saw it was faith, not works; relationship, not achievement. Does that mean we stop doing works?

    I've had similar "issues", I guess, in that I've made choices in my life to make space for relationships and people, yet I find myself still overwhelmed by the number of relationships I wish I could put more time and energy and love into, and disappointed in myself in the way I fail those I love. Overwhelmed by the brokenness of those around me and wishing I could do something more helpful, and then equally so at my own brokenness when I repeat unhealthy patterns in my own life.

    Perhaps we won't necessarily all together stop swinging between the "too high" and "too low", but amidst that swing of the pendulum somewhere there must be real peace to be found. Peace in learning to accept that God's love is still there, and unchanging, for the world in all its brokenness and me in all my brokenness. I thought I learnt this seemingly obvious lesson in Sunday school, but engaging in God's world is making me re-learn this lesson in a new way - a more painful way, but a more real way. And as I grit my teeth to face my brokenness and am amazed that God still wants me to join in restoring creation, I see that yes indeed, God, "all we have accomplished is really from you."



    Carlyn

     
  • At 10:48 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    As i was reading your blog the thought came to me again and i can't get it out of my head that God just wants us to come... just like a kid to a dad. or a friend to a friend and when we do he just smiles and says: "So glad you came!and please Keep coming!!
    i know... it seems to be a bit of a reoccurring theme but i think it's a good one to be stuck on.
    luv ya

    Rosie Xx

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home