somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Happy Birthday Blog

It is one year since I started blogging! I'm having fun... and hope to keep somesaypip going through 2006 as well as linking this blog to others so that readers (i.e. you!) can check out other sites that I enjoy.

Comments are always welcome and appreciated- even if you just say "hi- read your blog today!"

I was chatting with one of my study buddies yesterday about the Grade School readers. We noticed that no form of education is moral-free or value-neutral.... The ways that our Khmer school texts try to influence children to value a safe, clean, happy society make interesting reading. Here's one example from a conversation between two third-grade girls:

Pisay: Wow! Your house is so beautifully clean!
Tida: This is from my work of cleaning every day.
Pisay: I also clean my house every day but it isn't at all as beautiful as your house. How do you do it?
Tida: Firstly, I wipe the dust from the surfaces of the table, cupboards, chairs etc. Next I sweep the floor. After that I wipe everything with a wet cloth.
Pisay:Thank you, Tida! I will clean my house in this way.
Tida: I do hope that you may be able to clean your house like this. A clean home brings happiness and joy.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:30 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree with the textbook, "A clean house brings happiness and joy"! so why am I procrastinating cleaning my house, sitting here reading your blog (that I just re-discovered hiding on Nicki's computer!)

    Love you girl, gotta go clean, Marsha

     
  • At 3:59 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What does it mean then if you can't see the desk under all the papers at work, and you can hardly see the floor at home under the clothes, empty bottles and half-read mail?

    I think it means I need a holiday. I think i'll tidy over Easter. I dont' think it's procrastinating if you plan to do it at a later date. It's more, very forward planning.

    Anyway, I'd hit send now, but I can't find where the cordless mouse went.. ahh, there it is.

     
  • At 4:25 pm , Blogger pip said...

    I think in terms of housework Forward Planning could be planning to do it over the coming weekend- but I'm not so sure about waiting for the next National Holiday?!

    Follow Marsha's example Scotti :)

     
  • At 7:05 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Scott, at least you're not saying 'cleaning is women's work'. It also sounds like the reader used girls' names so gender stereotypes continue...

    mum

     
  • At 4:34 pm , Blogger Joe said...

    Scott that's disgusting. I'm imagining something like your DY flat but worse.
    Pip, thanks for linking to me!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home