somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Older Sister

Before I moved into the student dorm I met with the young people a couple of times. Initially the girls wanted to show their respect by using the title "teacher" before my name. I told them that they could call me by my name or use the title "older sister" if they wished.

While it doesn't sound like a big deal either way, I'm so glad that I insisted on "big sister" over "teacher". My role in being at the dorm is much more relational than instructional. Just in this past week a number of the students have chosen to share something of their stories and struggles with me. I don't always know how to respond- but I can listen and pray. And I figure that that is what big sisters are for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home