somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Being Present

Being "in the moment" is something I usually have to work at. Since I've moved house, however, it has been pretty easy! The conversations in my head go like this-

This is a fan. This is a blue, standing fan. This is my blue, standing fan that I can turn directly onto my body whenever I need to cool down. That's cool.

This is a washing machine. I push a couple of buttons, sprinkle the appropriate powder and come back when I hear the authoritative beeps at the end of the cycle.

This is a fridge. I can buy a whole, boxy litre of milk and keep it there. I can make ice. (Reality- I've been making loads of ice...perhaps a dozen trays in six days...)

These are books. These are shelves and shelves of books- all in English. These books must contain millions of words- the collective experiences, reflections, thoughts and theologies of hundreds of people. These books are here for me to explore whenever I'm free.

I have a bedroom and a bathroom all to myself. Every night I get to choose when the light goes out. Every night I say to myself- "I think I'll switch the light off now." And I do it. Wow!

I'm enjoying the discipline of being present!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:33 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Even Jesus was noted once to be 'alone in the crowd'. Sometimes we just need some privacy, eh? Have a great holiday housesitting before you go back to communal living.
    Marsha

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home