somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Grocery Shopping

I remember those Saturday mornings when mum came home from grocery shopping. I was always happy to head outside and help bring the shopping bags from the boot of the car. This was partly to help mum. However, I must admit that I liked to inspect the supplies as they were dumped on the dining room table. Did she remember my favourite cereal? What flavour yoghurt would we be eating this week? Any special cakes or snacks?

Last night I did my first big grocery shop for 2006. I spent just over ten bucks. I bought:

1 small loaf of brown bread
1kg of brown, organic rice
800g of oatmeal
300g sultanas
6X250mL of UHT soy milk
2 small tins of tuna
1 small tin of baked beans
3 plastic boxes to store food

Bringing home the above groceries sparked much discussion. Every item was inspected, commented on and questions pointed at me. What's this? Beans. What's that? Soy milk. So, did you put the soy milk in your backpack to carry it home? Yes. What is this? I'm not sure of the name in Khmer but we cook it in a similar way to rice porridge. Most people eat it at breakfast. Why did you buy this strange rice? It is good for health. Why did you buy the boxes? To store the food. Oh, that's a good idea. Can I help you take the wrapping from the boxes? Yes.

I heated the beans and four people joined me sitting on the floor around the single bowl. I ate with a spoon and my room-mates dipped bread into the beans to taste this "strange" food. More discussion, more questions....All over ten bucks of groceries.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:11 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Must have seemed strange going to the western supermarket rather than the market to buy food! Would love to spend just ten dollars on my groceries.

     
  • At 1:27 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    you make me laugh pip!! thinking of you!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home