somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Falling Again

I came off my moto again last night. It was just before dark with the usual rainy-season cloud and 6:45pm traffic. The hundred or so voices in the crowd that quickly gathered seemed to be saying that as I was making a left turn the dark grey car was turning right from the opposite direction. We didn't see each other and ended up fighting over the same bit of road. The car won. The car always wins.

In previous stacks I've had a tiny bit of time to prepare but this time we just smacked. I didn't see it coming. I didn't fall well. In fact I face-planted. If there is any lesson to be learned from face-planting it is to wear a full-face helmet.

Today my nose is swollen, my face is swollen and I'm taking pills for a slight headache. My teeth split both my bottom and top lips. But this should quickly heal.

Before I left home to run some errands late this morning I wondered if people would notice my injuries. If I saw me on the street I'd suspect that my hubbie may have thrown some punches at me last night...but it seems that Cambodians think that foreigners have massive noses anyway so it wasn't too much of a drama.

I received a couple of sympathetic text messages from my Cambodian colleagues when I told them why I couldn't come into work this morning:

God be with you forever. God bless u.
God please heal you.

A close friend offered this advice: Paint em [lips?] red and it'll look like botox.

Another Khmer mate dropped in to see how I was doing at lunchtime and said with a smile: It is a good thing you have a long nose...otherwise you would have broken your teeth.

Maybe it is time for a holiday?

4 Comments:

  • At 1:20 pm , Blogger Joe said...

    Ouch! Hope it all heals soon!

     
  • At 9:30 pm , Blogger KT said...

    oooh...so sorry :{

    Love ya! Thinking of ya!

     
  • At 8:34 am , Blogger pip said...

    Thanks!

     
  • At 10:36 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i guess it'll be good training for any stacks you may take snowboarding when you go to NZ!! sorry, is that a bit heartless :) Glad it wasn't any worse (as in no broken bones) and hope youre feeling better by now. Luv ya Xx

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home