somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Unusual Requests

I should be getting used to unusual requests by now.... The other day someone asked me if she could borrow some money so that one of her relatives could buy a cow. OK- I've never had a share in buying a cow before- why not?

Last week a young woman I've been getting to know started asking me questions about how long I'm planning to be in Cambodia, where I live etc. She said that together with her husband, she is looking for some land to buy in order to build a house. They have one daughter and probably hope to increase their family. I started wondering if she was going to ask me to loan her money for the house. Instead she said: "So after the house is finished...we were thinking....in the future....ummm...would you come and live with us so I can improve my English?"

4 Comments:

  • At 10:47 pm , Blogger Joe said...

    Is it for meat or milk? This is the ideal time to start posting pictures!

     
  • At 6:25 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Pip! that is such a fantastic blog entry - and such a fabulous request from your friend!!thanks for writing it up - it made me laugh! i was envisioning the sound of music for some reason, im not sure why since they all spoke the same language anyway...

     
  • At 9:36 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    First, which part of the cow do you 'own' - maybe the big brown eyes???
    Second, it sounds as though you have a new business- renting yourself out as resident English speaker for learning English by the absorption method. Your dad would have been proud of these great business initiatives.

    Love Mum

     
  • At 3:05 pm , Blogger pip said...

    The cow is a meat cow. I put in about 10% of the cost so I'm not sure how much that would get me....maybe a leg; a tail; a decent steak and a few sausages?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home