somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Lessons in Listening when I don't know the rules

I'm never sure of the right way to respond to beggars. Some people set rules for themselves: never give; always give. I have one rule- I don't give to children who are begging at night without an adult with them. Such kids are really vulnerable and I don't want to do anything that would encourage them to be on the streets alone after dark.

One night last week I stopped at a small shop on the way home at about 8pm. A girl of about 6 years cupped her hands in front of me, looked up and asked for money. I looked into her beautiful face, smiled and said, "Sorry, little one, I'm not giving."

I packed up my purchases and started my moto again to go home. A few metres away I drove past the girls' mum. She had the exact same facial features as her daughter. I got to the nearest cross-street and had to turn back. I'm not exactly sure why because I don't have a rule for children begging on a well-lit street at 8pm with their mother supervising from a few metres. I just knew that I had to give this woman something. So I did a u-turn and approached the young mother who was wearing a thin, worn blouse and a sarong with her hair neatly pulled back from her face.

She stood with her plastic begging bowl looking slightly unsure of what to do next. I took off my motorbike helmet and greeted her politely, "Big sister, that's your daughter isn't it?" The woman gave a slight nod of the head in agreement. I tried to explain- "Your daughter asked me for money before but I didn't want to give because I thought she was alone and it isn't safe for her to be on the street at night aby herself." I continued with my hurried speech, "So I didn't give to her. But I will give to you instead."

The woman took the money that I put in her bowl and tucked it in her skirt pocket while I left not knowing whether my words meant a thing to her (or whether it sounded like a strange explanation/ confession/ justification from a mad foreigner).

Maybe there are no rules. But I'm learning that there is the inner voice that sometimes compels me to act... and this is what I will try to pay attention to in the midst of the pleas.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:43 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I so empathize with you as to what to do. You're right to listen to your (God's heart) We have so much to give, but don't want to add to someones danger or disaster, eh?

    Keep up the good work, Marsha

     
  • At 9:54 am , Blogger andy said...

    hey just thought i would say Hi, we had Steve and Lisa at our church sunday.. we pray for you guys each week... keep up the great work :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home