somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Friday, June 01, 2007

I Will Sing

When I was about 12 years old I had repeat nightmares of being forced to sing in front of large groups of people. It was terrifying. It wasn't just the possibility of hitting a wrong note or singing out of tune. It was being unprepared and knowing that I wouldn't be free to sing from my soul. More than this, it was the fear that the audience would respond with the worst insult of all- mass indifference.

I've outgrown these nightmares. (And it is good thing that I've never sung solo in front of a crowd.) But I love singing to myself. When I'm happy I'll hum while cooking dinner and sing aloud while riding my moto home at night.

From time to time I will write a song to remember a lesson, an event or a process. Later... when the power is cut off and I've got half an hour at lunchtime with nothing much to do, I will sit and strum and sing and recall these stories. If you ask now I will probably have the courage to sing you a song or two. I might still feel that raw sting of vulnerability, but if you have a guitar sitting around....I will sing.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:54 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Pippy

    Good to hear you are still strumming away!

    Keep it up once you move 'house'

    Omi

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home