somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

no taxi today...

Siem Reap. Battambang. Pnhom Penh. Every day there is a row of cars on the main road waiting to take me somewhere out of here... The drivers call out their destinations as I pass. Siem Reap. Sisophon. Phnom Penh. I often call back: Poipet! (yes, someone is staying...) Poipet! (not going any place else today...) Poipet!

I live here. I've chosen this sometimes-crazy border point. So I name this city as if the act of simply saying a place might give value to it. I guess I speak it out in the hope that this city might become a Destination. Home. Community. Family..... I say: Poipet.

This morning I went for a quiet coffee on my own. I took with me the notebook that Malis and I use to write down information about people we meet during the week. Most of them don't know I'm studying them. I don't know them well but it is my plan to learn them. So I take out the notebook and study their names. Rathy. Vasna. Heng. Pirom. I think about their families. I remember some of the things they've told me in conversation. I allow their names to resonate in my mind, holding them in thought. Even though I hardly know how to bless them I lift up their names. And I hope that whatever their Destination they might find a Home there.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:40 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hahaha... id like to see footage of you calling Poipet. I can feel the hope and love behind that call- it's awesome!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home