somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Friday, October 03, 2008

what they reckon

In everyday Khmer speech there isn't a distinct line between a compliment and an insult. Honest, open (sometimes brutal!) comments frequently contain a mixture of both. For example:

1. Pip! I remember we met before when you visited Poipet! At that time I wasn't interested in getting to know you because many people come to visit so I didn't want to make the effort...yeah... I wasn't interested...

2. At first when I was asked if a foreigner could stay in my house I was nervous. But in all your habits you are exactly like a Khmer... except sometimes when you speak it isn't that clear.

3. Big Sister Pip- you've lost weight. Maybe you have Aids?

2 Comments:

  • At 12:06 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I especially like #3! - Ali

     
  • At 4:56 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    this makes me miss cambodia...the third one is a winner =)
    -kira

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home