somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

hi Ali

I haven't blogged in a month. Ali is starting to worry. The rest of the planet seems quietly disinterested but I'm happy to start writing again. I like posting stories. It helps me to write about things that have happened. Or could have. Or might yet. So...news?

At Christmas Brooke and I turned our Spirit House into a Nativity Scene and the empty plastic bottle (baby Jesus) was found wrapped in toilet paper lying in a cardboard box. Sounds dodgy but I reckon it looked pretty fab.

After Christmas I ran a half marathon in Chiang Mai. Although the 5am start was a bit rude, I managed a PB, came fifth out of the women and got to climb on stage to receive a trophy from a lovely fellow who had no idea how to pronounce my name.

Several guests have been in and through the house in Poipet, prompting me to think that as well as saving the world I really should go buy some beds.

The cold season has hit town. The other night I slept under a blanket, wearing every piece of clothing I could find including multiple layers of socks. I thought it was a little excessive... then a friend asked whether that was the same time I was sick and suggested that perhaps I had a fever? There's an idea! Anyway, I self-medicated for four days with as many green pills as I could swallow with my rice (no prescription necessary) and am feeling much better now.

Training for marathon number two has just started. The locals are very supportive. It is usually the guys who cheer me on but last weekend's run in shorts and a baggy T-shirt prompted a giggling high school chick to call out "hey sexy girl!" The training runs will get longer. The days will only get hotter. I'm a little scared!

More soon...
Poipet Pip

7 Comments:

  • At 5:14 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

    ;-)
    Now I'm happy!

     
  • At 5:00 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Pip - I must admit I have been looking to see when you'd blog again but figured you'd been on holidays like the rest of us! That is so awesome on your half marathon! Well done. I injured my foot so feeling a little sorry for myself. (will miss some major races i've been training for but not to worry)

    Looking forward to catching up but please don't buy a bed on my account ha ha

    love omi

     
  • At 5:09 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Welcome back Pip. I must admit that reading your blogs is one of my 'must do' items each Thursday.
    All our love and God bless.
    Ken & Lois

     
  • At 6:38 am , Blogger Lisa said...

    Hey Pippy, Just quietly waiting for you to return... Hooray! Welcome back. Lisa

     
  • At 2:25 am , Blogger Miwa in HK said...

    yup, had missed you too:) Thanks for the update!:) xox

     
  • At 7:46 am , Blogger gretchen said...

    oh pip~ you are so popular! look at all these people who notice when you don't blog ;) i missed you, too, of course...if you didn't keep up with me as well as you do, i would have been really worried... ;)

     
  • At 9:32 pm , Blogger Joe said...

    Have also been waiting :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home