somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Conway on Memoir

I'm doing some reading/ learning about how to write Memoir. Jill Kerr Conway is my teacher for the weekend. Conway writes-

"Traditionally there has only been one female biography for every eight written by a male."

Comparing autobiographies written by males and females, she observes that among males there is a strong sense of them being agents of their own destiny. In contrast, women's autobiographies are less clear on the ways that they have shaped their own lives. Conway argues that one reason for this is that "the romantic plot has so dominated their narrative" that it obscures all else.

In thinking about the stuff I write I wonder what kind of hero I depict myself to be. I hope it is a sincere (if stumbling) protagonist.... someone who is able to risk leaping into life's river but also willing to be carried in the currents. I hope that maybe I'll be open enough to write romance... even with the discomfort of not having a safe, "happy ever after" ending. Lastly, I hope that the truth is an interesting read.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:56 pm , Blogger Miwa in HK said...

    Looking forward to seeing how it unfolds, Pip! Think it will be awesome!:) Happy writing!:)

     
  • At 3:51 pm , Blogger Joe said...

    woohoo! i look forward to the romantic plot ;)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home