somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What is Deep South?

There's a guy in his 20's who studies English at one of the church-based private language schools in Poipet. I've taught his class for a total of about 3 weeks over the past 6 months. (Yep, I am the dreaded substitute teacher.) These days he sends me a text if he's studying at home and can't figure out a word.

Teacher, what is retirees?
What is Deep South?
Excuse me teacher, can you explain radio signal jammer?

Tonight this student also sent me a follow-up message saying, "Thank you for teacher that you could be used to explain me all the time." Sweet. The message continued, "So I pray for you right away." The prayer he typed was rather confusing so I was glad that called and I could ask him a bit more about his religious beliefs.

He explained, "What I mean to say is... to me you are a god." Of course, he had his reasons (because I'm kind, wise, helpful etc) ...but I did feel the need to point out that there are some significant differences between The Deity and me.

He had a few more questions. For example: "I want to know where is God?" I tried to be as simple and as honest as I could in reply: "God is everywhere and especially close to people who are seeking God." And it strengthened me to say it simply too.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:50 am , Anonymous Omi said...

    Thats cool pip - Love it!

     
  • At 6:20 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Thanks Omi-
    Nice work on your half marathon today!! : )

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home