somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Trevor & Maureen

Last weekend my mum got married! (Photos to come, I promise! I'm waiting on friends who had cameras to email me some of the stunning bride & the awestruck groom.) Meantime, here's the essence of the speech I gave at the reception:

[Introductory remarks in response to the Best Man's speech that included kind yet slightly strange & obviously exaggerated exultations on the beauty of the bridesmaids... followed by a short, sincere, thanks to Trevor & Maureen for the honour of being a part of their special day.]

In early August I received an email from the bride, my mum, giving a summary of her recent news. She mentioned a Sunday afternoon walk with Trevor and Sonya*. Interesting... I remembered hearing of another walk with a bloke named Trevor just a week or two before. So I sent off a quick email saying, "I'm curious, sounds like a date?!"

...and waited for the reply.

Mum responded with a prompt defence. I quote, "I can to choose to go for a walk with anyone I want to- male or female- and this does not make it a date. Unless you define date more broadly [er.. like an appointment mum?!] ...as in the way that children might have a play date."

A play date?! Well, at that point I was even more sure that something was going on.

Back in Australia, the play dates with Trevor continued, with a beach walk in Gerringong a couple of months later ending in a proposal of marriage and a kiss!

In January, Trevor, Sonya and mum came to visit Cambodia. My first thought was that Trevor is just as handsome as my dad was ; ) But, more importantly, Trevor is a generous, kind, compassionate and genuine person. So, mum, I think you've made a fabulous choice!

When I googled "how to make a bridesmaids speech" on Thursday night (which was, by the way, just a few hours after I found out I was expected to make a bridesmaid's speech..) several websites suggested I conclude with wishes for the bride and groom. For example, "success, happiness, many babies..." Hmmm... Sonya and I would like to wish the bride and groom success, happiness, a growing love, lots of laughter... and many more play dates.


*Sonya is Trevor's daughter & my new step-sister : )

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home