somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sitha and his speeches

Sitha studied at the KEC English school for about 6 months. Last week their class finished the Pre-Intermediate level book. Sitha was a diligent student. He walked to the English school and always arrived on time. He participated in class activities and asked questions when he didn't understand. Sitha had a ready smile and a gleam in his eyes behind his glasses. Almost every evening, he would stay behind for a minute to thank me for teaching that class.

On Saturday Sitha was killed in a motorbike accident. He was taken to hospital but his injuries were too serious.... another Cambodian teenager lost in a road tragedy.

Over the past two months one of our interns, Dave, taught Sitha and the others in the 5:20pm class. I dropped in last Tuesday evening and talked with Vanna and Sitha. Sitha made another speech, saying that he was very happy to see me and wished me a happy Khmer New Year and safe travels back to my homeland and good heath and etc etc . This time I joked with him, "Hey- no need for big speeches today! It's a long time until KNY! I will see you soon.... this week or next week at the latest!" I rode off with Teacher David on the back of the moto while Vanna and Sitha called out, "Yes! Thank you! Goodbye!"

I'm sad that I won't hear another of Sitha's speeches. And I have just one short speech in reply:

Sitha, Congratulations on finishing Pre-Intermediate. You were a great student. We'll miss you in the new class. Thank you for bringing happiness to the classroom and for motivating me almost every day with your gentle, polite, encouraging words of appreciation. May your family and friends find comfort in their grief.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:17 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How can no body shared this to me?? I met him last class on Thursday (Mar 18) too. We talked a lot in class esp. about his future, he wants to be a doctor but he is concerning that his family can't support him. So he has to work in Thailand next year to help the family and will try to go his future goal. He always say to me "G'day mate"and "thanks sister for teaching me" :(

     
  • At 9:17 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 9:32 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Sorry you had to read this here... my heart & head were very heavy today but we should talk about this in person.

     
  • At 10:50 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sorry to hear this, Pip.
    Please know that you're making a difference and he's in His hands.

    Alanis

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home