somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Friday, June 25, 2010

The World We Want To See



The theme for Voices For Justice 2010 was The World We Want To See. From Day 1 of the gathering (Saturday, June 19) there was one photo that came to mind that sums up the world I want to see. It's a photo Gretchen took in Poipet just a couple of months ago in April. As we gathered to learn, worship, reflect and prepare for the events in parliament house, I printed several copies of this photo to give to the Senators we were scheduled to meet with on Tuesday.

On Monday I was also asked to share something at the final event for at Voices For Justice on Tuesday afternoon at 4pm. In the Theatre inside parliament house, participants and a scattering of politicians met to envision a world where the poor have a fair go at providing a decent life for themselves and their families. Inspired by Gretchen's photo, this is the text I read:


I want to see kids play

I want to see kids in Cambodia play soccer

seven-a-side on a half-sized field

kicking an old soccer ball

barefoot


I want to see these kids

well-fed and well-nourished

having eaten rice and fish and egg and spinach

all in the same meal


I want to see kids play

so they don't have to work

pulling handcarts, making bricks

or chasing a couple of cows for fifteen cents a day.


I want to see them work at finishing primary school

with public school teachers

willing to raise their voices

over the June monsoons that thunder on tin-roof classrooms

because they're committed to equip students

with the dangerous gift of literacy.


I want to see kids play strong.

Kick, run, pass and shoot for the goal.

Not sit on the sidelines

weak and wasting from malaria, Aids and TB.


I want to see kids play

in a safe place with a safe coach who knows their names:

Srey Leak, Srey Mom (how ya doin?)

Aya, Lyna (my star goalie... sup?)


I want to see kids play

in a safe place where they're free to chase

the ball when it goes out.

Because there are no landmines to harm their little limbs.


In the world I want to see

there's no war... or years of bad harvest

that force families to free to the next city

in search of something better.

In the world I want to see

kids sign up for a team in their home town

and play out the full twelve-week season.


In the world we want to see:

healthy, safe, well-fed, kids-in-school

play.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home