somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Friday, January 28, 2011

reading the bible

This year I'm continuing to read through the bible. I started in August 2010 so I'm about half way through the Bible In One Year plan. I'll often journal thoughts about what I learn or just take a pen and mark key verses. When I miss a day I catch up later.

Reading the bible habitually hasn't make me an instant superhero, immune to mistakes, failures or frustrations. It does help me to focus on the big picture. Maybe it makes be a bit more centred. It equips me to teach and encourage others'. Reading the Scriptures regularly strengthens me when challenges and interruptions come.

It doesn't take me long to read a few pages of the bible every day. I try to read with an openness and a sense of expectation. Also, I try to read with an attitude of humility, acknowledging my preconceptions, my cultural biases and my lack of understanding. I try to engage with the text prayerfully.

So I'm wondering... what about you? Do you read the bible? If so, how does it inform your decisions and priorities? How does it shape and strengthen your spiritual journey? How does it challenge you?

4 Comments:

  • At 4:01 pm , Blogger gretchen said...

    YES! I started a read the Bible through the year program on January 1~ and I have never enjoyed it so much! so far have only read Genesis and Job, but there is SO much richness in the text; I think our learning can never end!

     
  • At 9:37 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Very cool! Glad to see that you're enjoying it.

     
  • At 11:27 am , Anonymous Gail said...

    Yes there is nothing better than coming across something , committing it to memory to bring out when times are tough. We have been reminded that we have ONE chance at life and must not waste it. Can we say with Paul in 2 Tim 1:12, "for I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until the day of his return."

     
  • At 12:08 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Hi Gail-
    Thanks for your comment! Great verse too. Thanks for sharing your response with us : )

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home