somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Thursday, March 03, 2011

I am a football player

Last night we invited the Bridge of Life team to have dinner. We played games, talked about what they're learning through football and shared about Jesus. About 6 or 7 people responded to the message to say that they wanted to 'cross the bridge' and put their faith in Jesus. Very cool. Whatever else comes out of it, it seems that youth in Poipet are enjoying playing soccer on Sundays. They put on a uniform and for an hour or so a week they're someone different. They are football players. Here's one story:

My name is Meas Chandara. I play in the Bridge of Life football team in the Under 13s league. In my family there are seven brothers and sisters. My mother died. My father is old so he doesn't work- my older brothers and sisters support me. I'm in Grade 6 at Primary School. Many of my classmates play in this league too- some in my team and some in other teams. It would be great if we could play at school too but the playground is very small.

Most of our team grew up in the same neighbourhood. I think this helps us to play as a team. Actually, we've wanted to play for a few years but didn't know about any organised competitions. It's good that we have this league... and it really makes a different to have uniforms too. Also, it helps that we have a good coach. What is a good coach? I don't know but I think that all of the coaches in the league are good coaches!

I like to play football because it's fun! It's also good for health.. and I like to see my friends. My friends and I play every day. We play barefoot, though, so sometimes our feet get hurt with cuts, swollen feet, sores and things like that. When this happens we do have to stop for a couple of days.

I also like to watch football on TV. My favourite team in the English Premier League is Arsenal. I don't know why but I've followed them since I was little. Whenever I was outside and I'd hear someone say, "Arsenal is playing," I would rush to watch the game.

So I guess I have always been interested in football. Before I would mostly just watch it and kick a ball with my friends. Now I am a football player.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:22 pm , Anonymous Scott said...

    That's great that some boys want to put their faith in Jesus. It is also fantastic that the soccer competition gives the boy's a sense of achievement & pride.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home