somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011

language confusion continues...

I'm trying to learn some basic Thai.

The other day a fruit seller spoke to me in Thai, I replied in Thai and it wasn't until I left on my moto that my brain even registered that I was speaking Thai, not Khmer. Plus one point.

Last night a Thai staff at the gym asked me on my way out where I was going. I understood the question and replied, "To eat food". Unfortunately, I picked the wrong language. Regressing more than ten years, I responded in Chinese?! Negative one point.

Let's see if I can get some more points in August in this game of learning basic Thai.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:55 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

    Why do you need Thai? Is it because you are on the border?

     
  • At 1:02 pm , Anonymous Scott said...

    I know what you mean I have started to learn Korean (Hanguel) & I sometimes think of my very limited khymer or spanish from over 10 years. My old brain hurts....

     
  • At 9:06 am , Blogger pip said...

    Hey Ali-
    Yes. It's because I'm on the border. There are some Thai's living here and we have to speak English to work together. Also, it's just as easy to go West across the border for a long weekend away as it is to go somewhere in Cambodia. Just to learn a bit of language to be polite when I travel is a good thing!

     
  • At 9:06 am , Blogger pip said...

    Hey Scott-
    I totally know the 'pain' of trying to cram vocab! It takes effort and concentration! : )

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home