somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, November 14, 2011

The tuk tuk drivers

There are moments I get to be unreasonably generous with other people's money.

On Saturday, an American short-term team arranged for a 'fleet' of tuk tuks to take them around the Angkor Wat temple complex. Plans changed the night before, however, when some decided they wanted to hire bicycles instead. In addition, several visitors didn't want to go to Angkor Wat for the whole day. (The Siem Reap markets, restaurants and massage venues were also calling...) But the tuk tuks were already booked. So on Saturday morning we made a plan that the vehicles would be available to the American team members and to the Cambodian staff who were with us to take people anywhere they wanted to go from 8am until 3pm. The price was set at $13 per driver.

At 3pm I went to talk with the drivers and pay them. I was asked to help just in case there was any complaints or any last-minute haggling. However, I was in a good position because these Southern Californians tip generously. I talked with the tuk tuk drivers and asked them about their day. Some of them weren't so busy. On the other hand, one guy told me that he'd done lots of short trips and another said that he drove further usual. They were hoping that those who worked harder could get $15 for their efforts. After a full fifteen minutes or so of conversation, I thanked all of the drivers for their efforts.

I turned to one and said, "Uncle, you said your passengers wanted to travel a long distance today. Thank you for taking them." I gave him $20. I turned to another driver and said, "Little brother, you are the one who made many trips today. Correct?" I handed him $20. For the remaining five, I gave them each a twenty dollar bill.

It was a simple way to show that sometimes life isn't fair. It's better. There are moments when we don't get what we deserve. We receive more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home