somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, May 07, 2012

Hebrews 13:15-16

Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name. And don't forget to do good and share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God. Hebrews 13:15-16.


I've been thinking about these words over the weekend; pondering these two sacrifices. There's a sacrifice of giving praise to God and a sacrifice of sharing with other people. It seems these go together.


Christian leadership, according to J. David Lundy, is relationally rooted. Christian leaders need to practice a continual conversation with God and with people; to engage with, listen to, respond to and converse with God and others.


The first surrender is to 'constantly and at all times offer up to God a sacrifice of praise' (Amplified Version). In other words, it's about speaking truth in love about who God is. God is love when I'm just not feeling it, grace when I keep on screwing up and bold when I can't be bothered taking risks anymore. God doesn't change no matter how much I fight, flee, argue or try to ignore Him.


The second surrender is to show kindness and generosity by sharing. Connecting with God helps me to share with others. When I'm not giving praise to God, it's harder to respond to people's needs. When I'm practicing a lifestyle of worship, it allows me to creatively respond to people. I'm strengthened to look someone in the eye and say, 'What do you want?' Because I know that even if I can't meet their need fully, God can. Every resource in heaven and on earth is available to those who ask and God can do the impossible. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home