somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Something I said I'd never do...

Trying to settle into life in Cambodia means many new experiences. For example, this morning I navigated the streets of Phnom Penh on a borrowed bike, trying to stay alert but not alarmed.

Today I also did something I said I'd never do- I went swimming in my underwear in broad daylight. Before you turn off your computer and swear never to read my blog again, please give me a chance to defend myself.

First up you need to know that Cambodia is hot- and things are just going to get hotter over the next couple of months. Since I arrived on Monday night I've been hoping to find a swimming pool that is not too expensive & not too crowded. I'd heard that there was a hotel nearby...( I asked some friends but they weren't sure if it was it being rennovated? Was it open?) I decided it was worth a try.

I rode around the general area, consulted my map and found the hotel. I walked in the foyer and was greeted with a smile and the magical words, "swimming pool?" You betcha baby! I gladly handed over the US$1 entry fee and made for the change rooms.

It was at this point that I realised my dilema. I had my swimming cap, goggles, swimming top but no bottoms. I toyed with the idea of riding back home and then begging the smiling lady at reception to let me in again. I decided on the easier option. I tried the navy swim top with the black Bonds hipsters. It almost matched. With just one other person doing leisurly laps and a handful of people lounging around the poolside, I made my dash. Despite saying I'd NEVER swim in my undies....I think (hope!) I got away with it.

7 Comments:

  • At 5:40 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well you almost got away with it... except you told us all about it :-)

    It's good that there is a swimming pool nearby though.

     
  • At 6:47 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    and now the truth comes out!

    cant wait til all the Narraweena crew find out about this one... =)

     
  • At 7:26 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    these things can only happens to u.
    Why u pip .....?

     
  • At 7:26 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    these things can only happens to u.
    Why u pip .....?

     
  • At 7:26 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    these things can only happens to u.
    Why u pip .....?

     
  • At 7:26 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    these things can only happens to u.
    Why u pip .....?

     
  • At 3:56 pm , Blogger pip said...

    I'd like to think that I'm just a rare type that actually admits to these kinds of things?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home