somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Of poetry and promise

MONDAY NIGHT 10:20pm. I'm thinking about the things that need to be done for Tuesday. I write a list of points to cover in my language session. I start to think about what needs to be done in my own study time. Then emails, finances, errands.... the mental list grows and I'm about to scribble it all down when I'm struck by a different set of objectives.

TO DO: 1. Know God and be known by God. 2. Walk in the presence of the Spirit. 3. Fall more in love with Jesus.

I read the evening Psalms for the 16th of the month and stop on this one sentence, "Yes, the LORD pours down his blessings." (Ps 85:12a)

The words that I read from Spurgeon this morning resound with this phrase like the final chord of a symphony-

Our Lord Jesus is ever giving, and does not for a solitary instant withdraw his hand. As long as there is a vessel of grace not yet full to the brim, the oil shall not be stayed. He is a sun ever-shining; He is manna always falling round the camp; He is a rock in the desert, ever sending out streams of life from his smitten side; the rain of His grace is always dropping; the river of His bounty is ever-flowing, and the well-spring of his love is continually overflowing. As the King can never die, so His grace can never fail...The wings of our hours are covered with the silver of His kindness, and with the yellow gold of His affection. The river of time bears from the mountains of eternity the gold sands of His favour.

I went to sleep Monday night with my head resting on promises; on poetry; on expectancy.

TUESDAY MORNING. 5am. Got up, dressed and left the house. The air was cool and the light came from charcoal fires in the streets and alleys lit by faithful housewives in preparation to feed sleeping husbands, children, grandchildren, guests... I fall into a very relaxed jogging pace. I'm not running from anything or two anywhere but just running with the dawn and all the newness of God that touches me in it.

TUESDAY NIGHT. 10:10pm. I'm trying to figure what kind of a day it has been. The reality is that since about six thirty this morning I've felt rather seedy all day. I've fought the desire to sleep while studying with my tutor and while in class at university. I've given in at other times and spent most of my free hours in bed. I've eaten a couple of mouthfuls of rice. I've been awake for a good forty minutes now writing this journal and helping my Khmer bro with his English homework. I'm totally nackered! Ready for sleep again.

Shall I sleep again tonight on a pillow of promises? You bet. Will I be disappointed if tomorrow brings another day like today? No. This is reality. I can't predict it so I''ll just take tomorrow's gift and strive to see the silver of His kindness in whatever ways it comes.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:05 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Pip! I found this after it disappeared on my computer! So now I feel "young" again.

    You hang in there girl, and don't let any of those 'dedicated housewives' mow you down as you jog!

    Blessings and encouragement, Marsha

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home