somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Friday Nights

I've started helping out with a Junior High Youth Group (run in cooperation with the International Churches in PP). The Calling meets twice a month on Friday nights. It has been two years since I've been involved on a regular basis with teenagers but I still love it!

Most of the guys who come have already made some kind of profession of faith. Almost all of them have parents who are strong Christians and some go to a Christian school. They listen amazingly well and play together well. They aren't perfect but overall they are a really easy-to-like, fun group. I hope that I can be another positive influence in their lives as they transition from a child's faith to increasing maturity. I hope that as they meet with students from different churches their appreciation for a variety Christian beliefs and practices will grow. I hope that this group will help families enjoy living in Cambodia and that parents will be able to fulfill their Callings here too.

When I was asked about what kinds of ways I would like to help out I said, "the talks"! It is great to be able to meditate on an idea from Scripture and then try to express that in a way that a 12 year old can understand and apply to their lives. It refreshes me as I prepare and teach.

Last Friday night we were looking at the topic of humility. The thing I wanted to focus on in the talk was that we can be humble (in Khmer this word is literally to lower ourselves) when we know that God has already raised us up. When God reveals our own value we can be free from constantly comparing ourselves to other people, from thinking that life is just one big competition and from the driving need to impress others. We can be free to consider others needs, to serve and to choose to put them first.

The students were all sitting on chairs and mats on the floor. To conclude the teaching time I went around and lifted each one up by the hand as a symbol of how God lifts them up. To each student I said something along the lines of, "God really values you. There's nothing God wouldn't do for you. God lifts you up to become his friend." Following this I gave a shorter exhortation, "So, when you get the chance, humble yourself." In response the students gave a short bow to symbolise their willingness to look for opporunities to serve others. I had this idea during the week but I wasn't sure if this would take too long or if it would sound cheesy. But I decided on Friday night to do this symbolic prayer anyway... I think the students liked it and I loved having the opportunity to take each of them by the hand and spend a few seconds speaks words of truth into their lives. Woo hoo!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:51 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great to see you using your teaching gifts again with young people! I can just imagine the power of being raised up and then choosing to serve as a reminder of our status and need for humility. Keep using these enactments of truth.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home