somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

HR

Last night I was talking with the lifeguard/ swimming teacher at the indoor pool. He used to teach Khmer to Junior High students so was interested to look at the texts I'm studying. (Yes- this does mean I was studying at the pool on a Sunday night- hmmm...) After a thirty minute improptu test and Khmer lesson, we switched to English so that he could have language practice too.

He was telling me about his desire to begin studying again and to find a better job in order to continue supporting his parents as well as starting a family of his own. He said, "I want to be a.... I forget... ummm... I want to be a human...oh I don't know...I want to be a human..." After some discussion I was able to guess the missing word, "resource?" "Yes!" he replied. "I want to be a human resource. I want to be a human resource!" I told him he already is. "You are working and helping your mother and father. You can teach people swimming so you have useful skills. You are a human resource." He answered, "No! I am not. I am afraid I stay here every day and become stupid!"

His story made me think of the people I've met who have a job but whose work is repetitive, dull and without any challenge. I think of the moto driver I spoke to who has three customers on a good day. I think of the guards I see around the city who get payed maybe $30 a month to come and sit and watch. While I know that the lifeguard isn't poor in relation to most Cambodian people, I wonder if boredom is one of the curses of poverty. It isn't as dramatic (nor as visible) as hunger, disease and cold, but it kills all the same.

So, without having any answers, this blog simply wants to recognise the cry of those who say:

I want to find meaningful employment. I want to be be challenged and stimulated by what I do. I want to have a bit more than enough to survive. I want to feel like I'm able to contribute something to my country, my family, my children. I want to be a human resource!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:10 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sometimes the humanistic psychologists got something right! Maslow observed that when people have basic needs (food, shelter etc) met they are aware of needs such as the need for significance. Yet even human significance is not enough if we don't have security and significance in God. Hope that many Cambodians will find all their needs met because of your work.

     
  • At 11:09 am , Blogger pip said...

    Yep. Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home