somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Trouble with the law...

This morning I was in trouble for riding my bike the wrong way down a one-way street. I knew my shortcut was officially against the road rules and that I was at fault (never mind the half a dozen people I'd seen do exactly the same thing...) The police officer stopped me and I started my Khmer speaking exercise, "Yes, I see the sign. I'm sorry, sir. Now I know clearly. I'm sorry."

As I was about to ride off again, the police officer yelled, "No sorry! Stop here. You have to pay a fine of ten dollars." I wanted to say, "You are so dreaming buddy!" but it is a good thing I don't know how to say that in Khmer so I had to just shut up for a bit.

Perhaps five minutes later he came back with an offer of a five dollar fine or a trip to the station. I asked about the location of the police station and for how many days they usually confiscate a bike in this kind of situation. He told me. I waited some more.

About ten minutes later he dropped his price again, "Two dollars fifty. You pay and you can go."
I still thought this was a bit steep so I decided to wait it out. Another ten minutes passed and the police officer approached me again. The conversation took a rather different turn:

Police: Are you American?
Me: No.
Police: Australian?
Me: Yes.
Police: You can speak Khmer?
Me: A little. I'm studying.
Police: Do you have a boyfriend?
Me: No.
Police: Do you want to have a boyfriend?
Me: No.
Police: Can I have your mobile phone number?
Me: No, I'm sorry sir.
Police: Don't you want to get to know me?
Me: I cannot. I don't think my family would be very happy.
Police: Oh. So you cannot come to a special restaurant with me?
Me: I cannot.
Police: Cannot?
Me: Cannot.
Police: OK- you can go then.


5 Comments:

  • At 8:40 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hahaha. thats so funny!
    Nice one babe!! was he hot?

     
  • At 6:14 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a hoot, Oh virturous woman!

    Reading this took me back to the 9 times Tony was 'arrested' when we lived in Liberia. He looked like a middle eastern guy with his dark hair and beard and the police figured he was good for a bribe. He always did the same thing, just smiled and waited them out, claiming only to wanting to do the correct and legal thing, even suggesting they go to the superior........... it really stumped them, and they'd ALWAYS give up.

    Be strong. We'll pray that the next upholder of the law isn't good lookin!

     
  • At 5:44 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Does it mean that a date with you is worth less than two dollars fifty? What cheek!

     
  • At 11:18 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Way to go, girl. Were you wearing your red t-shirt again??

     
  • At 7:14 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i love that previous commentors have assumed that the police officer was good looking and that you needed to restrain yourself!!??

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home