somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Getting over being unplugged

Last Sunday I led the service at the International Church I attend. I enjoyed it but admit that there were a few technical things that were really annoying. I wasn't impressed that the leads to plug-in my guitar sounded so dirty that I had to just put a regular microphone in the strumming zone and hope for the best. I was disappointed that in such a large building nobody has thought it necessary to buy foldback speakers so that the musicians can actually hear what they sound like as they are trying to lead a couple of hundred people into worship. I was annoyed that they just pay some guys to set up the chairs and plug in the microphones...then these guys disappear and we have to chase them down if the sound isn't properly balanced. After I got home I wondered whether the only thing that is really important to those who lead this weekly gig is the 45 minute lecture at the end....

Anyway... last next night I spent half an hour or so talking with one of the girls at the dorm about life, gossip and many unrelated things. And as we talked about her home village she said,

"If there was a church in my village I'm sure more people would believe. Some people came and preached the gospel there once but they went away again. Those who heard didn't understand clearly and didn't grow in their faith."

God over dodgy leads and inadequate sound systems- help me to keep perspective, love your people and work with you to see many beautiful, imperfect churches.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:57 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Doesn't it just make you realise again that it's people who are the church! Just hanging in with these Cambodian girls means you are becoming their church. Hope you get many chances to help them grow in their faith.
    Love
    Mum

     
  • At 1:53 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Thanks mum!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home