somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Fear Of Falling

"Fear of falling comes through inexperience" said the advertising slogan for a bungy jumping company in Northern Thailand. After my second motorbike stack today I'm starting to believe it. Falling is something I'd like to try to avoid but when it happens I figure I should at least try to fall well.

The first time I came off my motorbike was due to some eejut on wheels coming down the wrong side of the street at night. We had a head-on collision but I somehow landed on my feet. No damage.

Yesterday I was trying to avoid another crash. A motorbike came flying towards me from a side street and I felt sure that were were about to have an accident. So I put on the brakes. Not so luckily for me it was just outside a building site. The wind had scattered piles of sand across the street and I hit the brakes right on one of them. I skidded and before I could regain control knew that the bike was going down. I flipped over the front and did a rather stunning commando roll in the middle of the intersection. The bike suffered just one smashed indicator cover, which was replaced on the way home for 50 cents. When I got home I surveyed the damage to my body. Nothing dramatic. There's just some slight grazing on one leg and half a dozen sexy blue bruises.

It hurts a little but I'm getting some great experience in falling.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:15 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, I always knew the training in gymnastics, wrestling and so on would pay off some time. Glad you emerged relatively unscathed.
    Love Mum

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home