somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Preaching It

For a number of years preaching was a standard item on my job description. More recently, however, I've traded the pulpit for the pew. I've come under the leadership of a local Khmer church as a learner and a slowly-emerging participant. I've become a semi-regular at an international church. I stopped preaching and started writing this blog instead....

Yesterday I preached for the first time in a long time. I'd love to be able to say I preached in Khmer, but my language ability isn't there yet. I was invited to speak at the monthly bilingual youth service at my local church.

Previously, I was very critical of anyone who wanted to preach in English to Khmer people. But if it is done well, preaching with an interpreter may have a place. Many of the Cambodian students are studying English and a bilingual service this gives them an opportunity to practice listening. Similarly, the foreigners who come are mostly at different stages of learning Khmer. They can understand the message in English first but can listen to the interpreter too. A bilingual service can help build bridges between the two language groups and it can give people who have preaching experience an opportunity to use their gifts even if they are not yet fluent in Khmer.

So, yesterday I preached it up... and really enjoyed it. It helped that I could understand the interpreter. There were a number of times I was able to restate or explain a point in a different way when I could hear that the interpreter didn't fully grasp the meaning. There was one time when I wasn't sure what my interpreter was saying but I was almost 100% sure that he wasn't speaking about what I'd just said. I was listening to the interpretation but looking at the congregation when one of the students from the dorm helped me out by shaking her head at the appropriate time and simply mouthing the word, "no"! Apart from these adjustments, I think the young people understood the message clearly. I trust that the Spirit of God spoke to them too.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:00 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great stuff - just so glad you are able to use your preaching/teaching gifts. Mum

     
  • At 1:36 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So you have people in your church shaking their heads and mouthing the word "no" during the preaching too !

    Don't suppose this local church of yours does Podcasts?

     
  • At 9:53 am , Blogger pip said...

    hey Scott : )
    didn't think of it like that! i'm all for a bit of heckling during the preaching...but Cambodian people are generally too polite for that.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home