somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Khmer New Year

The trip to red dirt territory is over for this Khmer New Year. It was one of the best travelling experiences I've had within Cambodia. We stayed in the largest town in Ratanakiri province. We played every day at nearby waterfalls, rivers and lakes. I swam in the best pool in Cambodia. One of the lakes just near the township is a perfect circle in pristine forest with clear, cool water. It is a few hundred meters across.

Standing on the banks the challenge was plain. The trees at the other side loomed- calling those who would come. I suggested this to my travelling friend, who has just come off the end of the Australian traithlon season. She was a little reluctant at first, but eventually she agreed. We walked a short distance away from the main group and found a spot in the bushes to swap our polite shorts and T-shirt splashing outfit for actual swimming costumes. Caps and goggles would have make it more comfortable, but they weren't on hand.

We set out into the green-blue mystery. I followed the scissoring legs in front of me for as long as I could but slowly dropped off the pace. A couple of times I stopped to do some breastroke. A couple of times my friend turned her head and shouted, "C'mon! C'mon!" We hit the far bank and rested in the branches of a recently toppled tree. We talked about the reality of having to swim back. We wondered what motivates people to leave the shore.

Back in Phnom Penh this morning, another friend asked my traveling buddy, "Did you swim across the lake?" My friend answered, "Yep." The other friend said, "Yeah- I thought you would." To which came the reply, "Pip made me do it!" Swimming Cambodia's best swimming pool with someone else was a bonus. While I might have done the initial persuading, I appreciated having a "C'mon!" person when I started to slow. To journey with another person was good for me. For when we started our swim the reality that we might need to cross the lake and then come back again didn't even register. I only saw the challenge ahead and wanted to overcome it.


May there be more fun for the PB seeking triathlete who wants to be successful at the finish line and the reckless adventurer who dives in first and takes those initial few strokes even if that means coming in behind.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:14 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Phil

    The swim sounds like one of those perfect moments! I'm glad you are once who encourages others to do adventurous things, and one who is blessed with people who encourage you.

    Mum

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home