somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Growing Participation

In my pre-departure training before coming to Cambodia I read an article that helped me to think about learning a language less as "study" and more as becoming a GP or "Growing Participant" in the host culture.

Yesteray I was on a bus heading out of Phnom Penh. I enjoyed participating in the journey through:

- Laughing at some of the jokes when the Khmer comedy DVD was playing.
- Ordering food I know and like at a local roadside stall.
- Talking with the guy seated next to me.
- Accepting his offer to share a bag of fried bugs he bought when we stopped.

There were a few tourists who took photos at every opportunity. I thought- "These guys are snapping pikkies but I get to live this." Cool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home