somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Being right

I love being right. Some time around 11pm Saturday night I was sitting with a couple of friends watching an Indian version of American Idol called Launch Pad. I couldn't understand a word of what they were singing and the last time time I was asked to choose some Hindi songs for a party it was because "you know what the white people like." What do I know about emerging Indian singing sensations? Nothing. But I critiqued each one- "poor song choice", "narrow range", "trying to hard"... and I praised a few- "amazing tone", "passionate and controlled", "wow". As I spoke my friends seemed to be convinced that I knew what I was talking about.

Earlier during the day we had argued US politics. I was thoughtful and balanced but pretty much right. They had questioned me on Cambodian culture and Asia in general. I had happily responded to their questions and given my opinions on regional issues. Yet the moment that was most satisfying was somehow being the expert on something that I have no idea about. The more trivial the better; I just love being right.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:48 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    don't we all..........Marsha

     
  • At 5:00 pm , Blogger Joe said...

    I'm so glad that I have friends who take their blackberries everywhere. They are so useful when you are having an argument (and know you are right!) and someone can whip one out and go to wikipedia for instant resolution!

     
  • At 1:16 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Joe & Marsha & Phil

    I just hate it when my students cite wikipedia. It's fine for trivia, but not for university discussions. Unfortunately, some of them don't know the difference. Keeps me humble to know how trivial they think my lectures are.

     
  • At 8:05 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    haha...i can just imagine you critiquing each singing contestant. the girls on my floor have been religiously watching american idol. it was especially exciting to watch because a friend's friend made it to hollywood. unfortuneately she didn't make it past the first night of america voting...
    anyways, like always, i love reading your blogs!-kira

     
  • At 1:28 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Hello friends.

    What is wrong with wikipedia...easy info for a 5000 word essay, right?

    The new season of American Idol is on cable here too...I've watched about 1.5 shows all up.

    Peace all and have a top weekend.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home