somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Titles

This year my job title has changed from Project Advisor (part-time) to Project Director (full-time). The new title goes with a new project and that in itself is a challenge when I wonder if we have a project for me to direct yet?

I'm already starting to think that maybe being a Project Director is more work (even if I'm on the same monthly allowance!). The first time I wrote Project Director on a form I though it at least sounded important. Not I'm not sure. Malis has already threatened to start calling me Big Sister Boss instead of Big Sister Pip and that won't do at all.

Seriously though... this past week I had to do a small Directorish task that was new to me and not at all pleasant. I had to phone a job applicant and tell them that they weren't chosen for the position. Before calling I checked my copy of Tearfund's Human Resource Management guide. Chapter 4. Step 10. Inform unsuccessful candidates. The text was brief. I couldn't delay the call any more so I picked up the phone. I spoke in my best polite Khmer. I said all the important things twice just to make sure I was understood. Thank you for the time you spent coming to the interview. We appreciate that you came to meet us for the interview. I'm calling to say that you were not chosen. We have decided to choose somebody else instead. I hope that we can meet again. Maybe we will see each other in the community. Thank you again. Yes, thank you. Bye bye.

Hmmm...still waiting to find out the perks that come with this Very Important Title ; )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home